List of main story prologue quests (Kaer Morhen tutorial, White Orchard and Royal Palace in Vizima) in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, sorted by the order in which they usually are started.
The number in parentheses placed after the quest's title is recommended (by game designers) character level at which you should perform quest's tasks. Marker (-) means quest has no recommended level.
Main questKaer Morhen (-)
Every story has to start somewhere. This one starts in the guest room at Kaer Morhen, the stronghold of the witchers in the Blue Mountains. It starts with Geralt taking a bath, disproving the theory that witchers neglect personal hygiene. But as he's bathing, he is brusquely interrupted by Yennefer - does she ever interrupt in any other way? She reminds him that he was supposed to train with Ciri. What could our hero do but bid the sorceress farewell and descend into the courtyard of the fortress. Little did he know this would mark the start of a great adventure.
- Use your Witcher Senses to find the key to the bedroom door.
- Go to the lower level.
- Talk to Ciri.
Tutorial, you can skip it.
- Join Ciri in a run along the ramparts down to the lower courtyard.
Combat tutorial, you can skip it.
- Draw your sword.
- Aim at Vesemir and mark him as your target.
- Perform a series of fast attacks.
- Perform a series of strong attacks.
- Perform a series of dodges.
- Roll out of the way of Vesemir's blows.
- Perform a series of parries.
- Perform a series of counterattacks.
- Cast the Quen Sign.
- Cast the Igni Sign.
- Cast the Aard Sign.
- Cast the Axii Sign.
- Cast the Yrden Sign.
- Throw a bomb.
- Stand in the highlighted spot.
- Throw a bomb at the training post.
- Sheathe your sword.
Quest completed. New quest - Lilac and Gooseberries (-).
Main questLilac and Gooseberries (-)
Yennefer had contacted Geralt - finally. They had not seen each other in years. And then she'd sent him a letter, smelling of lilac and gooseberries, of course, asking him to meet her in the village of Willoughby. "About a matter of great importance," she had written.
So as was his wont when it came to all things Yennefer, the witcher raced off at breakneck speed. Alas, he arrived too late. Passing armies had razed Willoughby to the ground. Yennefer was nowhere in sight. With the help of Vesemir, whom Geralt had encountered along the way, Geralt picked up her trail, which the two witchers then followed. Yen had ridden north, traversing wild lands and battlefields at great speed. She was in a hurry. Perhaps she was in trouble...
- Kill the ghouls.
- Follow Vesemir.
- Go to the tavern in White Orchard.
- Ask travelers about Yennefer. - Talk to Gaunter O'Dim.
- Ask the Nilfgaardians about Yennefer. - Talk to Nilfgaardian Officer at Nilfgaardian Camp.
- Complete the griffin contract. - New main quest - The Beast of White Orchard (3).
- Prepare to leave White Orchard with Vesemir.
Quest completed. New quest - The Incident at White Orchard (2).
Main questThe Beast of White Orchard (3)
The commander of the Nilfgaardian garrison in White Orchard knew where Yennefer had gone. Shrewdly, he was unwilling to share this information for free. A man with substantial experience, he knew full well Geralt would do anything to find the sorceress. As luck would have it, there was a griffin about, a beast the commander's soldiers had been unable to hunt down. The commander could demand but one thing: the monster's head in exchange for his help.
- 1. Ask the herbalist about buckthorn. - Talk to alchemist Tomira. You can try to help wounded girl - new secondary quest - On Death's Bed (2).
- Find some buckthorn on the riverbed using your Witcher Senses.
- 2. Ask the hunter where he found the bodies.
- Use your Witcher Senses to find the hunter.
- Kill the wild dogs.
- Talk to the hunter.
- Follow the hunter.
- Examine the site of the Nilfgaardian soldiers' death using your Witcher Senses.
- Follow the Nilfgaardian soldiers' track using your Witcher Senses.
- Search the griffin's nest using your Witcher Senses.
- Talk to Vesemir.
- Meet Vesemir in the field where you plan to ambush the griffin.
- Kill the griffin.
- Take a trophy from the griffin's corpse.
- Collect your reward from the Nilfgaardians.
Main questThe Incident at White Orchard (2)
Witchers should be neutral, avoid meddling in the affairs of others. But at times, it's hard to be indifferent... While searching for Yennefer, Geralt and Vesemir stopped by the tavern in the village of White Orchard. When a row erupted in the establishment soon afterwards, Vesemir decided to defend the besieged innkeep. Unfortunately, instead of calming the situation, he inflamed it. The witchers were forced to draw their steel swords. Those they use to kill humans.
- Kill the bandits.
Quest completed. New quest - Imperial Audience (2).
Main questImperial Audience (2)
Geralt had spent years looking for Yennefer, only to have her find him. She had appeared outside the tavern in White Orchard, escorted by Nilfgaardian soldiers. The one-time lovers could not enjoy their reunion, for the sorceress had insisted they make haste.
Geralt and Yennefer had then left White Orchard accompanied by the Nilfgaardians, but only the witcher and the sorceress reached Vizima. Along the way their column was attacked by a cavalcade of wraiths: the omen of war - the Wild Hunt.
Geralt's head was abuzz with questions. What had Yen gotten into? How had the Hunt found them? Why was it looking for them? Why had he been summoned to Vizima? He was to get his answers from none other than the Emperor of Nilfgaard himself, Emhyr var Emreis, the White Flame Dancing on the Graves of his Foes. The most powerful man in the known world.
Morvran Voorhis asks you a few questions (The Witcher 2 savegame simulation):
- Killing or not killing Arjan will make a difference during main quest Broken Flowers (11).
- Next choice (Roche or Iorveth) has small impact, just small conversation difference during main quest Get Junior (12).
- If Sile is still alive then she will show up during one of the future quests.
- If Letho is still alive then in the future, you will be able to aquire secondary quest Ghosts of the Past ().
- Get dressed and talk to the chamberlain. - You will talk to Emhyr now.
- Follow the chamberlain.
- Talk to Yennefer.
- Retrieve your equipment from the chamberlain. - Before you retrieve your equipment, you can talk to Ambassador var Attre and get some info about political situation, etc.
- Travel to Velen. - New signpost marker will be added to your ingame map - Hanged Man's Tree in Velen (Map: Velen, Grayrocks).
Quest completed. New quests - In Ciri's Footsteps (-), The Nilfgaardian Connection (5), Pyres of Novigrad (10) and Destination: Skellige (16).